Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Resolutions

I have made a few new years resolutions this year, so I figured that since it's mid-February, it would be a good time to review progress on them. I've heard the statistics before on how most people have quit by the end of January. Real change in life is hard, and it's typically not very much fun. But a wise person once said, "There is no brilliant achievement without dull and determined effort". 

Resolution #1- Spiritual Life. In the past I have pledged several times to read the Bible in a year...and honestly, it's never happened. I know that I've read most of the Bible, the prophets and some of the history are what I still need to get to. I'm reading the minor prophets in my minor prophets class, so that's a good move forward, but...I decided not to make that particular pledge this year of getting through it all in a year. Instead, I made a resolution to get to church every Sunday this year. In the last few years, I started finding it more and more tempting to stay home on Sundays. It got to the point where I'd be proud of myself for going two weeks in a row, and automatically take the third week off. Not very productive. So, now it's been...7 weeks! And I can see amazing things happening. I am getting to know more people! I am really investing in people! I am finding joy in it! I am serving in ways I never have before. It really feels like a time of renewal. A few of the Sundays, I have had a hard time getting out of bed...because it's soo warm! And because I don't always get enough sleep on Saturday nights, so I should focus on that, too. Anyway. It feels nice, and my spiritual life feels more alive.

Resolution #2, Health & Fitness. Ugh. I did NOT have a good start on this one. Background info, I lost 15 pounds in October/November of 08, and everyone was complimenting me when I went home for Christmas...and then somehow I fell off the wagon? And didn't get back on till the last week of January. Gained back 10 pounds of the 15 I'd lost, but I've been at it for a little over two weeks again, exercising most days, eating smart...and I'm down 5 pounds. So only 5 more pounds to go to get back to where I was. And then I'd like to lose another 15 this year. The things that have been most helpful to me in this endeavor are....
- A reality check. I did not like where I was with my weight. I've been hanging out at around the same spot for years, and I am not content with it. So, I just had one of those moments...where you look at the path you're on, and decide whether or not you're going to stay that course. I do not still want to feel "fat" when I'm 25, 26, 27...etc. So, that means I have to do something about it NOW. I've been working out for years now, but this spurred a much more regular, disciplined, and goal-oriented type of working out
-Looking up the calories in the food that I most enjoy. Boy was that sobering.
-Education- I LOVE Jillian Michaels, personal trainer on The Biggest Loser. She has a radio show that they stream online, which I'm thankful for, cuz it airs on Sunday mornings and I can't listen to it then, since I'm at church. So, I listen to that most weeks. I get 3 hours of a really smart woman who has changed her own life and several other people's lives through fitness and nutrition education. 
-I'm getting closer and closer to the age when I'd like to start having children. I do not want to weigh over 200 pounds when I'm pregnant. Which at my current weight, would happen. I want to be in good shape, to give my children the best start I can give them. 
-Family history of cancer. If you don't take care of yourself, your chances are going to increase. I'm aware that I can do everything right as far as health and fitness go, and still get cancer someday, but I need to do what I can for me- I need to fight it NOW, and not be a victim.

I really like reviewing the things that are helping inspire me to be healthier. And the truth of the matter is you just FEEL GOOD. I may love the taste of fast food, but I sure don't love that bloaty feeling, fat feeling, that comes later. Eating healthy can be delicious, and it typically does not come with the same after-effect. 

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment